Monday, May 3, 2010

Praise Him in the Storm

This past weekend, we had really terrible weather. We had tornado warnings/watches. And it rained so much in a short amount of time that many areas were flooded. Even my own church. The drains on top of the roof couldn't handle the huge amount of water...the roof collapsed over the lobby. Water spilled in and ran right down to the alter in our sanctuary. Praise God that no one was in the building at the time...no one was injured.

I am counting my blessings and grieving for those who have lost everything.

A levee broke.

The Naval base was flooded.

At one apartment complex, the water was nearly to the second story windows.

At one trailer park, the water damaged everything. I think they're now considering bull-dozing that whole site.

People have lost everything. Everything.

We took a load of clothes/toys/toiletries and a crib to the church to donate. (all those great deals I've been finding via sales and coupons...I passed most of them on.) I want to find more things to give.

My heart hurts for these people. For the children who have nothing.

I would love to 'adopt' a family. I would love for them to come stay in our home for a time so I could feed them and love on them. God knows of my desire and if this is something we're supposed to do, He will make it happen. We have to be cautious because we have small children to consider. But if a fellow church member, or a friend of a friend of one, needed a place to stay, I would be thrilled to oblige.

I am so very thankful for all that we have.

I am so blessed....I feel it's only right to be a blessing.

Please pray for our church family...we are hosting flood victims in our Life Center for the next few days. I'm assuming FEMA is on the way...but until then, may we all shine the light of Jesus!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Ok, I realize I am a little slow. I have been in my own little world so far this week. I had read Tennessee was getting a ton of rain but until this morning I had NO IDEA is was as bad as it is. My heart is just breaking. I so understand you need to do something. I have a bunch of free stuff from coupons too, if you think you still need it I would be more than happy to send it to you (if there is any delivery service happening). Please please let me know. I think you still have my email or just send me a message on FB. Love ya and I all of Tennessee will be in my prayers!

ToolSmartz said...

God bless you for all you are doing...don't wait on FEMA. That's what the slugs in New Orleans did and it got them nowhere.
The real American Spirit is YOU - seeing a need and helping to fill it, with your own work and God's Grace.

Somone must have raised you right... :-)